]]>

Friday, January 20, 2006

Got rBST Milk?

In the mornings, I'm too lazy to go out and pick up the newspaper from my front yard before having breakfast; I grab it later on my way to the car. As my daughters don't always tolerate my laptop's presence on the kitchen table, I am sometimes reduced to reading the fine print on cereal boxes...

Yesterday, I read the label on the milk bottle. In the upper corner: "From cows not treated with the GROWTH HORMONE rBST", and in fine print at the bottom of the label: "Federal tests have proven that no significant difference has been shown between milk derived from rBST and non rBST treated cows."


While no substantial evidence is available that radiation from mobile phones has any negative effect on our health, authorities do not claim that radiation has been proven to be harmless. So, it is still legitimate to play to the public's fears and market a phone as "radiates less than brand X". But proven is exactly what the milk label says!

Seems to me that cynical marketers no longer try to rely on scientific uncertainty; they now harness to their campaigns even facts proven to be totally irrelevant.

So here is one of my own:

This blog has been produced on a QWERTY keyboard(*)

(*) Federal tests have proven that no significant difference has been shown between blogs produced on QWERTY keyboards and blogs produced on other keyboards.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home