Shakshuka - an Israeli Recipe
My colleague asked me where she could get a good Israeli Shakshuka in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Oren's Hummus, with locations in Palo Alto and in Mountain View, serves a pretty decent one.
But it's quite easy to prepare a shakshuka at home.
Here's the family recipe:
- 6 ripe beefsteak tomatoes
- 2 large onions
- 2 large bell peppers
- Tabasco, salt, pepper
- 2 to 4 Eggs
- Optional: garlic, basil, oregano
- Dice the onions and peppers and fry them in a pan with olive oil.
- Place the tomatoes in a boiling water pot for a few minutes, so you can peel their skin.
- Peel the tomatoes, dice them and add to the pan.
- Add Tabasco, salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover the pan, lower the heat, and stir occasionally – until the vegetables are soft and cooked.
- Add the eggs without stirring (you want them sunny side up, or over easy) – don't cluster them: they should be distributed across the pan.
- Cover the pan, the eggs are poached with the steam.